Saturday, April 19, 2008

Tilly and the Wall

My friend, Danielle, introduced me to a band about a million years ago called Tilly and the Wall. I didn't really listen to them very much until about... a week or so ago. I'd only heard a fewof their songs ("Bad Education," "Rainbows in the Dark," and "Night of the Living Dead") but looked them up on YouTube to see if they had any music videos or live performance videos. And this is how I found out about the coolest thing about Tilly and the Wall.

Their percussionist is a tap dancer.

Which is only the single most unique thing I've ever heard of or seen from a band. Ever.

I was watching this video and I was like, "Wait a second..." And now I'm totally a slave to Tilly and the Wall. I have found that I have a broken record in my head that can't play anything besides "Bad Education" and "Rainbows in the Dark." Not that I'm complaining.

Tilly is a pretty unique band. The vocals aren't the most masterful. They sound kind of like a mix between Bright Eyes and vairous indie pop bands (which isn't surprising, given that they are signed to Conor Oberst's label, Team Love, and they were in a band with Conor before he went BIG TIME as Bright Eyes). Their lyrics and melodies are catchy and fun to sing along to (if you can figure out the words in time). It's easy to listen to their songs on repeat because they're so fun and loveable.

Their video for "Sing Songs Along" is probably a perfect example of how bright, bubbly and fun Tilly is. They are wearing bright colors, jumping around with a bunch of kids in a gymnastics studio and smiling, smiling, smiling! I think they are, overall, a pretty feel-good band, perfect for this emerging spring and up-and-coming summer.

3 comments:

Dyskrasia said...

*Totally bought both their cd Wild like Children and Bottoms of Barrels last night*

Dyskrasia said...

By the way, the security word verification totally just had the word "Pimpin"

I'm not lying lol.

michael said...

ok,I've been listening to Tilly for like ever, but I didn't know that their percussionist was a tap dancer!
or that they were signed to team love!
cool!