Saturday, July 12, 2008

Life's Small Lessons...

We are in Utah and down the street from where we are staying, there is a simply-Mac store. I have been bugging my parents about getting a Macbook for several months and they've finally caved.

But not in a way that I expected.

We went and bought my Macbook yesterday after a very long discussion about finances for it. They are not paying for it.

I used their American Express card to purchase the computer. When we get back to Iowa, we are taking out a $2000 loan, with me as a cosigner. I will be paying monthly payments of about $200 to pay back the bank and get a credit score. Because my parents have such good credit, we are getting the loan for only 5 or 6%.

This will seriously come in handy when I have a computer during college and am not paying nearly as much interest as I could be on my student loans because I will already have a credit score and, with any luck, it will be a good one, since I've promised to pay on time and get it paid off early so my parents' score doesn't go down (it's nearly perfect, which is astounding).

And if anyone cares: Macbooks are amazing. Within an hour, I was already customizing, installing and thoroughly enjoying myself. I am super happy.

No comments: