Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Books I Want To Write

Writing a book sounds like a huge task. For some, it may be a dark and looming task as well, especially if you love telling stories and have wanted to write a novel for years but just haven't gotten there yet.

But if I were to write a book, there would be two possible books I'd want to put onto paper (or, more appropriately, into a Word document).

The first would be the novel I have been working on since October that I worked on dilligently all through November, AKA: National Novel Writing Month. It's a fantasy novel about kids, but not meant for a child audience (think His Dark Materials type of novel). It's fun to write and plot this story but I haven't made much time basically since the end of winter break to get anything written. Since then, I've written about 15 pages, which is not very much considering I wrote probably 120 or so during November alone. It's a total of 167 pages as of right now and I'm waiting for the time to be able to dedicate to some serious, hardcore writing time.

The second book I would want to write is a novel that would mix basically everything I could ever want to read about. It would be a horribly self-indulgent novel and I would probably be the only person to purchase a copy in any bookstore anywhere. I would somehow manage to blend drug culture and vampires and magic (which sounds incredibly corny now that I type it out but does not in my head). It would probably end up being somewhat epic, because I'd need some sort of social drama, adventure drama and immortal drama. But it would be so much fun to write! If only for my own personal joy. :)


PS: I stole this topic from Chris Brogan's website where he has a list of 100 topics people should write about. I chose: #25: Books I Want to Write. (His list is very helpful.)

3 comments:

. said...

we should make a pact
you write your novel and i'll write mine, and we'll meet in a year to exchange and proof each others and talk about how we'll be the only people to ever buy your druggie vampire magic book

ps justin perez is being very supportive of my whole dream to be a novelist instead of anything conventional/an elementary teacher (i might consider being a guidance counselor or something as well)

Dyskrasia said...

I would totally buy your novel.

I would also goto the library, and put it up on that "Staff Pick's" area, and stick postitnotes with my own recomemdations :P

Keely said...

Cool post. :)

I tried his website, but the topics weren't really stuff I was interested in. Thanks for the pointer though!