Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pandora Radio

I listen to music on Pandora a lot. I like looking at the different songs and finding what things link my various stations together. I've learned a lot about my musical tastes. Apparently, I like:
-Minor key tonality
-Extensive vamping
-Subtle use of strings
-Subtle use of vocal harmony

Right now, my stations that I have are:
-Dance pop
-Kate Nash
-The Beatles
-Patrick Wolf

I've had my Patrick Wolf station since I first got a Pandora account this fall. I've listened to basically every song that Pandora can get to match P Wolf and I've weeded out those that I don't really care for. I'm shaping up my Kate Nash station the same way and I like basically every song they've given me for more than an hour's worth of listening.

Pandora is a fascinating music... whatever it is. Free-online-streaming radio? Prexisting-music-generator at the push of a button? Mind reader with an extensive collection of tunes? Whatever. It's amazing. For someone who's picky about what she listens to (me) but doesn't have the time to keep changing songs (me) because she'll get distracted and never get anything done (me!), Pandora's a godsend. I can turn it on, pick my station-of-the-day and get going. It will keep playing music I like and I don't have to do a thing, except rate things Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down to keep it motivated.

Now if only I could get Pandora for my iPod... how awesome would that be? They should just sell Pandora-pods and you can plug them in, choose a station, and it will give you all the songs that would come with that station and you can give them Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down and then when you plug it in again, it transfers the information to an internet profile.... Could that really exist? Please, Pandora people?

PS: How classy is this? I did a blog about Pandora and then someone from the Pandora team commented on it. That is basically the coolest.

3 comments:

. said...

lol... you should create a PandaPod and make millions... and call them PandaPods so I can get a cut of some of your money...
p.s.
i l y

Kristine said...

ha ha... that sounds like a wonderful idea, dear. we'll be zillionaires together!

wilson said...

Thanks for listening to Pandora, Kristine! It's great to hear that you're enjoying it and making stations that suit you.

I went to see Kate Nash perform a few weeks ago -- she's great!

You can currently get Pandora on a cell phone. All your bookmarks and thumbs feedback that you input on your phone, while you're listening, is instantly recorded in your online profile and stations. :)

And we do hope to offer the service on other mobile devices in the future!

- Lucia, from Pandora